Around the Borough: Queens
(this is the coolest story of the day — a woman in the 1960s refused to sell her house to Macy’s. The mall was built around her home. See below for more.)
- A relative of a Richmond Hills Sikh leader was killed in the Wisconsin attack.
- Mayor Bloomberg and co. were on-hand at the opening of the new $30 million Rockaway Park in Far Rockaway. Does anyone else think it’s weird that the park has the same name as a neighborhood on the peninsula (although I’m sure the mayor and Parks Department had no idea.)
- Also, clean your beaches and streets, on Sunday and on every day.
- James Ssanders shared some pork with a community group that’s not even in the community he represents — a very well-timed member item.
- Teen indicted in shooting of Sudanese diplomat’s wife in Astoria.
- Mary Sendak didn’t want to sell her family’s home to Macy’s in the 1960s — and her story is as incredible as the old photos of Queens Boulevard shown in the post. The green house in this Forgotten New York post is one of my favorite in the city.